Call Us 800.696.4503 / 406.761.6010



The Path To Providing Begins Here.

Best Beginnings Child Care Referral Program

  • The Best Beginnings Child Care Referral Program provides a free custom list of child care businesses to families that meet their specified needs.
  • Providers can participate in this program as an advertising tool FREE of charge.

Getting Started

Provider Information Form Rate FormVacancy Update General Update

How do I complete my annual update for the Child Care Referral Program?

**SPECIAL NOTE on RATE CHANGES:  If you need to make a rate change as an existing provider or report rates as a new provider for scholarship payment purposes, please report these changes by choosing one of the following options:  complete the Rate Form online, submit a printed provider rate form, or contact a referral specialist at your local CCR&R to have a provider rate form mailed,  emailed, or faxed. Please include your name, facility name, PV number, PS number, city, contact phone number and the daily and hourly rates for both age categories (infant 0-2 yrs and child 2-12 yrs).

How do I participate with the Child Care Referral Program?

Contact your local CCR&R or submit your provider information online.

How do I change my business name, address, phone number, ages providing care for, hours of operation, etc on my license?

Complete this form and submit to the Quality Assurance Division (QAD).  Then, email or call your local CCR&R and explain the changes you have submitted to licensing in order for families to receive current information.  Changes represented on this form cannot be changed by CCR&R referral staff and must be changed by QAD staff; it could affect your scholarship payments if not submitted to QAD.

Where do I send my invoices to receive payment for families receiving the Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarship?

  • Send invoices to the families’ local CCR&R.
  • Your local CCR&R offers great professional development opportunities and assistance regarding STARS to Quality, mini grants, etc.

How do I contact my child care licensor?

Find your child care licensor’s contact information here

Contact your local Child Care Resource & Referral (CCR&R) Agency:

CCR&R Regions

  • Region 1: The Nurturing Center 146 Third Ave W, Kalispell 59901 406.756.1414, 800.204.0644 Fax:406.756.1410
  • Region 2: Child Care Resources 105 East Pine Street Lower Level  PO Box 7038 Missoula 59807 406.728.6446, 800.728.6446 Fax: 406.549.1189
  • Region 3: Butte 4 C’s 101 East Broadway Butte 59701 406.723.4019, 800.794.4061 Fax:406.723.6982
  • Region 4: Child Care Connections 1600 Ellis Street Bozeman 59715 406.587.7786, 800.962.0418 Fax:406.587.682
  • Region 5: Family Connections 202 2nd Ave S, Suite 201 Great Falls 59405 406.761.6010, 800.696.4503 Fax:406.453.8976
  • Region 6: Family Connections 2229 5th Ave Havre 59501 406.265.6743, 800.640.6743 Fax:406.265.1312
  • Region 7: HRDC District 7 7 North 31st Street PO Box 2016  Billings 59103 406.247.4732, 800.443.1411 Fax:406.248.2943

Start a Child Care Business

Help make a difference in the life of a child, family, and community by becoming a child care provider.

Learn More

1. Decide the type of provider you want to be

  • Child care providers are required to be licensed in Montana, contact QAD for more information 406-444-1510
  • Family Child Care: home care for up to 6 children including the provider’s own under the age of six
  • Group Child Care: 2 adults care for up to 12 children including the providers’ own under the age of six
  • Child Care Center: 13+ children determined by square footage of facility
  • Legally Certified Provider (LCP): a family member/friend caring for up to two unrelated children or all members in one sibling group of families receiving a Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarship.  Click here for more information and for the application.

2. Complete and submit licensing paperwork

  • Access licensing paperwork at the QAD website and fill-out the forms
  • Family Connections serves 23 counties in North Central & Eastern Montana: Glacier, Toole, Liberty, Pondera, Teton, Chouteau, Cascade, Judith Basin, Fergus, Petroleum, Hill, Blaine, Phillips, Valley, Daniels, Sheridan, Roosevelt, Garfield, McCone, Richland, Dawson, Prairie and Wibaux
  • Contact Family Connections for any assistance/questions on the forms
  • If you live outside these counties, contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency for assistance

3. Attend Orientation Online. Contact Family Connections or contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency for more information.

Benefits for Registered Providers

There are multiple programs, grant money, and scholarships available for licensed or registered providers.

Licensed/registered providers can participate in the Child Care Referral Program: FREE advertising of your business information to families looking for child care.

Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)


Licensed/registered providers can elect to participate in the Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP).  The CACFP is federally funded by the Food and Nutrition Services of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). The Department of Public Health and Human Services administers the CACFP in Montana. The CACFP provides cash reimbursement for serving meals to enrolled participants that meet Federal nutritional guidelines, outlined in the CACFP meal pattern.

More Information

Best Beginnings Child Care Referral Program


STARS & Professional Development Opportunities

Family Connections helps child care providers meet their professional development goals by offering a variety of courses that help fulfill licensing requirements, Professional Development Incentive Awards, and STARS Level criteria. Registered or licensed child care providers receive priority in our courses and are contacted when changes occur or new courses are available.

Best Beginnings STARS to Quality Program