International Day of Families
We know that families are important, and we celebrate families all year long! However, May 15th is International Day of Families or World Family Day! What is International Day of Families you ask; well, it is a day that the United Nations officially declared in 1994 to celebrate the families across the world as they are a central part of all societies!
We celebrate for two reasons; we want to raise awareness of the significance of families and the issues that affect families worldwide. Across the globe world family day is recognized and celebrated differently as some communities choose to discuss the issues facing local families, some organize events around the UN theme for the year (this year’s theme is Families and Urbanization) while others create large community wide events that celebrate the strength of families in the community. Most importantly people spend time with their families.
Some ideas to spend celebrate your family:
- This is a great day to spend time with your family. You can set up activities for your family, such as board games, singing competitions and more. Make this day about bonding with your family.
- You can ask various family members to talk about any issues they might be facing. Ensure that the conversation takes place in a safe space and let everyone know that they will not be reprimanded for speaking their mind.
- Use this opportunity to establish any support channels the family might need; for example, a child may be feeling quite pressured due to his piling schoolwork and may require more support from the family. Let the family come together and create solutions as a family.
- You can use this day as a great excuse to create memories. Plan a photo shoot with family You can get as creative as you’d like to with props or even have it at a location that means something to your family.
- You can also celebrate this day with people who are part of your society and daily life by organizing a street party with other families in your neighborhood. This is a great way to connect with your community.
- Use this day as an opportunity to teach your family about community service. You can sign up with community outreach programs and help other impoverished families on this day.
- If you are away from your family, then reach out to your friends who might be in a similar situation. It is important that you create a community for yourself that will support you and share your joys. Do not underestimate the power of creating your own family whose bonds are based on trust and love.
How are you going to celebrate YOUR family?
For more information on International Family Day and the UN theme please go to: https://www.un.org/en/observances/international-day-of-families
History of International Family Day from https://parenting.firstcry.com/articles/magazine-international-family-day-history-and-significance/