Q: Do I qualify for a Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarship?
There are different scholarships available depending on circumstances. Please read each scenario carefully to decide which program may work best for your family.
If you fit into one of the situations described below, you may be eligible for a Non-TANF Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarship.
- Are you a single parent working at least 15 hours a week?
- Are you a single parent going to school full-time?
- Are you a two-parent household working a combined total of 120 hours a month?
- Are you a two-parent household both going to school full-time?
- Are you under the age of 20 and attending a GED program, working on obtaining a diploma, or equivalency program?
The following paperwork is also required in addition to the application packet:
- Copies of birth certificates and social security cards of all family members listed on the application.
- Two months of current wage stubs for all employed household members.
Additional Forms may be required for the following:
- If choosing an LCP, a different application must also be completed by the person you choose as soon as possible to ensure no gaps in assistance. Read more about the Best Beginnings LCP program.
- Applications are available in Spanish on the ECSB site.
For more information about the income guidelines for the Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarship, please visit the Early Childhood Service Bureau.
Do you prefer to have paper copies of the packet? Request the forms to be mailed to you if you live in Cascade, Chouteau, Glacier, Pondera, Teton, or Toole county or call us at 406-761-6010 or 1-800-696-4503 for further assistance. If you live in any county not listed above, please find and contact your local Resource and Referral Agency as they offer the best service for you and your specified region.
Other Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarship Opportunities
- You may be eligible for a TANF Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarship if you are approved on TANF cash and have met with a WoRC case manager. If your WoRC case manager is approving you for child care assistance, they will refer you to our program by email or fax. A two page TANF application is required and normally completed with your WoRC case manager.
- You may be eligible for the Working Caretaker Relative Child Care Scholarship if you are a family member caring for a child that is related to you but not your own child. This program is only referred to us from an Office of Public Assistance (OPA) worker. Contact the OPA at 406-454-5640 and application requirements are the same for the Non-TANF Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarship.
- You may be eligible for the Child Protective Services Child Care Scholarship if you are a foster parent that has activities requiring child care. Your social worker will approve any child care need and send a referral to us. There are no co-payments required for this program.
Q: Are there other scholarships available if I am ineligible for the Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarships?
Families must reside within the following counties to be considered for the Safe Place Scholarship (SPS): Glacier, Toole, Pondera, Teton, Chouteau and Cascade.
The Safe Place Scholarship (SPS) is a one-time 2 month program designed to help families ineligible for the Best Beginnings Child Care Scholarship become independent from assistance. You can be awarded up to $225 for the first month, and $110 the second month and final month. Any child care used over these amounts listed is the families’ responsibility. Contact Family Connections at 406-761-6010 or 1-800-696-4503 for rules and regulations.
Safe Place Scholarship application requirements:
You must first be denied for the Best Beginnings Scholarship within the last 60 days. Please be sure you have completed the Best Beginnings Scholarship Application Packet before applying for the Safe Place Scholarship.
- A one page Safe Place Scholarship application. (PDF file download)
- Safe Place Scholarships will be awarded as available and families will be contacted when they receive a Safe Place Scholarship.