Main Menu

Family Connections Montana

Start a Child Care Business

1. Decide what type of provider you want to be.

  • Family Child Cares offer a “home-like” atmosphere with a ratio of one caregiver to a maximum of six children including the provider’s own under the age of six. The provider is required to be registered with the State of Montana.
  • Group Child Cares are settings where two adults provide care for a maximum of 12 children including the providers’ own under the age of six. Care is often provided in a private home. The providers are required to be registered with the State of Montana.
  • Child Care Centers care for 13 or more children determined by square footage of the facility. Centers are required to be licensed with the State of Montana. Contact QAD for more information at 406-444-1510 as this process is different than family or group licensing.
  • Legally Certified Provider (LCP) is a special provider certification category that is used for child care scholarship purposes only. A Legally Certified Provider may care for no more than two unrelated children or all members in one sibling group.  Click here for more information or to access the application packet online.

2. Complete and submit licensing paperwork.

Access licensing paperwork at the QAD website and fill-out the forms.  Family Connections serves 23 counties in North Central & Eastern Montana: Glacier, Toole, Liberty, Pondera, Teton, Chouteau, Cascade, Judith Basin, Fergus, Petroleum, Hill, Blaine, Phillips, Valley, Daniels, Sheridan, Roosevelt, Garfield, McCone, Richland, Dawson, Prairie and Wibaux. Please contact Family Connections for any assistance and questions when completing the forms. If you live outside these counties, find and contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency for assistance as you will work with them in future when attending classes and applying for grants. This paperwork can be submitted once completed or after attending Orientation.

3. Attend Orientation Online. Contact Family Connections or contact your local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency for more information.

Please note: There are certain requirements you must meet in order to become a licensed child care provider not explained here. Orientation will address these requirements in more detail. You may also visit the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services for complete licensing regulations.